Tuesday, April 13, 2010

We woke up and Charlie's sinuses were not doing well so I went diving and he stayed back at the room to get some rest. We had been diving with the same group of people for the last couple days so I felt really comfortable with the and their abilities. We went to Turtle cove for our first dive and of course I forgot the camera on the boat. But, this was the most beautiful dive that I had been on out of all the days. There were walls and walls of soft corals all different types and they had really thick stocks on them and were very healthy. But everywhere you would look there were soft corals it was so pretty. I also saw something really fun it is called a disco clam if you shine a light on it you can see an electrical current running back and forth on the inside of its shell. It was very cool. We also got to see about four turtles looking for food. I wish I could have got some pictures but it was kind of nice just taking in all the beauty without having to mess with the camera. Then we went ad ate some food on the boat and we were right outside an island named Carp Island the boat driver named Arson grew up on that island and it was passed down from generation to generation then his family had to leave Palau for his dad's job and when they came back to Palau a couple years later a European guy had built a hotel on the island and said that it was his island. Arson and his family have been fighting the guy in court for a long time and they finally won their island back so it was kind of interesting to hear his story. We then went diving at Blue Corner the current was going the opposite way so we did the dive differently then we had been doing it. We put are reef hooks in and there was a really strong current and when there is a current that means sharks are going to be out. And I had no idea that there was going to be 15 sharks that could see circling us there had to have been more that I could not see but I counted 15 sharks that I could see. It was so neat watching them feed and swim around it was crazy.
Those two dives were excellent dives to end a trip on. So, total in five days I did 12 dives putting me at 116 dives total that I have done since I started diving at 19 years old. I have been lucky enough to have most of those dives be in exotic locations around the world.
After the dives went back to the hotel and ate dinner and went to bed. The next day we could not do any diving because we were flying that night. So, I went to swim with dolphins at a dolphin sanctuary called Dolphin Pacific. They are a non profit sanctuary were they bring bottle-nose dolphins that they save from being chopped up by the Japanese fisherman. If you have watched the Cove that is were they save the dolphins from. It is horrifying but I am so happy that they were able to save the ones the have so far. The problem is, is that the Japanese fisherman know that people want to save the dolphins so when they catch them in their nets they keep them and try and sell them for exorbitant amounts to people who are rescuing them if the people cannot pay the money they chop the dolphins up in front of them it makes me sick to my stomach but also happy that there are places like dolphin pacific that are helping them to be safe. I did the free diving with the dolphins and it was so cool. They are such sweet animals I loved looking into their eyes. They are also SOOO big in person especially when you are right next to them. It was a great experience that I will remember forever. They are taken care of very well and are happy.
After that I met up with Charlie at the bar and Sam's Tours which is the diving outfit we had been diving with. We hung out with some friends we met from diving and then went out to Kramer's with a group of us. Charlie and I had to leave the hotel by 12 P.M. and we still had not packed. We were dreading leaving because once you get into the life in Palau it is so simple and fun you never want to leave. But, we were ready to get back to our families.
So, finished up dinner and we went back to the hotel because I had a massage appointment at 9:00 I wanted to make sure I was nice and loose and relaxed for the big trip home. I thought it would help me sleep and not be so tight. After I was done with my massage I had to pack really fast so I pretty much just threw everything in my bag it did not look very pretty.
We went to the airport and started out long journey home we are back in the U.S. now and we had such a great dive trip everything went so smooth we got to meet great people and do some breathtaking dives.

1 comment:

  1. ugh - that makes me sick thinking about the poor dolphins - i didn't know they sold them for ransom! sooo sad! but how COOL that you got to swim with the rescued ones! and the 15 sharks swimming right by you - what an adventure! thanks for the awesome posts!

    ReplyDelete